Some ruminations on science, photography, society and food.
Writer's Strike
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I saw this YouTube clip over on Nina's blog Reader. The clip is funny though I've often wondered why Nina's blog isn't named Climber. The clip is about the writer's strike and is done by one of the writers of the Daily Show.
I mentioned a few days ago that I'd purchased off of Craig's List an exercise machine. A Nitroflex, to be more specific, for the grand sum of $75. The boxes you see to the left were bought by the seller as discontinued merchandise over a year ago and stored in his back yard storage shed. You might be able to see some of the bugs and such that had made their homes on these boxes. I left them out on my deck for a few days before opening them to allow the insects to leave gracefully or die in the sun. The picture to the left is the pieces from the box, unboxed, and up in one of my upstairs bedrooms. For the most part it wasn't difficult to move it around though two pieces were heavy and a number of them were kinda long and bulky to be wandering about the house with. Surprisingly, this kit didn't require any extra tools. There were two allen keys and one combo wrench included in the boxes and that was all it took to put it together. The whole thing only took about half an h...
My tenant this week from Blog Explosion is Rock Bitch . Interesting name, no? She seems like the real-deal, folks. She's certainly a lot more hard core about rock music than I ever was. Even as a high school kid I wasn't into bands and their music like she is. Here's a paragraph from her description of herself: I worship my iPod and view my car as a moving stereo…Classic Rock and Blues are my gig. The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Cream top my list of rock gods. Coco Taylor, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Taj Mahal…just a few of my blues gods. Let me throw some other favorites out…John Hiatt, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Savoy Brown, Aerosmith, Metallica…the list is endless. I am a true ROCK BITCH. How's that for sticking to the great bands? And don't get the idea that she's a one way street here. She's got other interests also although not always pure. For one thing, she professes a passion for dirty martinis with fat ass olive...
Like the old commercials for Fruit Loops, a Kelloggs' breakfast cereal , would say: "A nose, it always knows". While that commercial was referring to Toucan Sam, I'm just using this as a lead in to talk about how sensitive dog noses are and how they can be used, perhaps, to detect cancer. There have been a number of mentions of this in the media recently. Here's two items from CBC news this year. One story that ran on 60 Minutes and another from the Early Show . Both of these stories refer to a study run by Dr. Bob Gordon of the Scripts Clinic in La Jolla which used urine samples of cancer patients and healthy people to determine how well dogs could detect differences in odor between the two. That study resulted in the conclusion that a trained dog could detect cancer to a degree that was 3 times greater than could be accounted for by mere chance. Pretty good but not great. A much more interesting study has been just released: In the small world of people who tra...
Comments