Gettin' Old

Back on September 3rd I wrote a post in which I observed that I was getting old because I had to start taking a medication every day. Well, now there's a second entry in that nasty getting old category.

Tuesday night, while watching Fringe, a commercial came on for a movie, Nights in Rodanthe, that is about to be released. While watching the commercial I thought to myself that the couple in the movie were very charismatic and well suited to one another. And I thought to myself that the lead actress was quite attractive despite her age---but I couldn't place her.

As it turns out, it was Diane Lane, and her co-star is Richard Gere who's a very well preserved 59---16 years older she. Back in 1979 I saw her first movie, A Little Romance, when I was a freshman in college. I immediately had a huge crush on her. She was so pretty despite being only 14. Which, of course, makes her 4 years younger than I am. That phrase despite her age is coming back to haunt me. So if she's looking a mite long in the tooth, what does that say about me? BTW, that question was rhetorical so don't feel the need to answer it.

In my defense, I think that the sequence in the commercial makes her look older than she really appears. After all, she looked fabulous just 3 years ago in Must Love Dogs, wonderful in 2003's Under the Tuscan Sun and fantastically sexy in 2002's Unfaithful, in which she also had Richard Gere as a co-star.

The flip side of that is her drop in popularity on AskMen dot com's Top 99 Most Desirable Women survey. Lane was ranked #45 in 2005, dropped to #85 in 2006 and then to #98 in 2007. Ouch. Time is so cruel to us all. Personally I choose to beieve that it's not that she's looking older, but just a lessening of exposure. Back when she was ranking high, she was in high profile films. Her loss of rank could just be that the people filling out the survey hadn't seen her that year.

Hey, it's a theory! And I'll tell you, I think Diane Lane's hot no matter what they say on that silly survey.

BTW, I was going to add a picture of Lane from her debut movie A Little Romance but after seeing that she looked more like she was 10 than 14 in that movie, I decided to forgo the picture. What can I say? I was only 18 at the time.

Comments

Time has a way of catching up with us...Though, from my vantage point I think Diane Lane looks smashing! And God knows who the people are that they survey or, how many of them....! What I find dusryrbing is to see a star that has had quite a bit of "work" done on his or her face, and not recognize them because of that! Diane Lane doesn't look 'pulled'....at least mot yet..(lol).
I know as one approaches the big Fove-0...people start to feel quite ancient. I am reminded of what Colette said..."AHHHHH TO BE 52 AGAIN..." I concur, with all my heart....! LOL!
SassyAssy said…
I think she is fabulous looking! Can't wait to see the movie.

Popular posts from this blog

Nitroflex at home

flea!

ankles: the sequel