From Korea not Amazon

I received this Email in the wee hours of the morning.

Fortunately I was awake enough to realize it was a scam of the spoofed address sort.

When I passed my cursor over the addresses that supposedly went back to Amazon, the addresses were actually to a server somewhere in Korea.

I discovered this by typing the hypertext protocol address into Google. What popped out is a slew of scams that involved the "ymerecord" word in the address name.

The Email looks authentic and I bet it'll fool a lot of people. One giveaway though is the date. Supposedly I made the purchase on May 2nd, which would make sense if I lived in Korea, where it'd been May 2nd for a while. But here in the States it was only 2am and I was pretty sure I'd not ordered anything between midnight and 2am. They should have at least dated the fake purchase date as May 1st to make it more plausible.

By the way, the "Ophiuchus" in the Korean address refers to a large constellation of stars located around the celestial equator. I wonder why they picked that name to go with. I presume it has some significance. It reminds me of a book I read when I was a kid, The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley. It came out in 1977 when I was 16. Good book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nitroflex at home

flea!

ankles: the sequel