Musical References

I saw the following image on Facebook today.

Do you get the reference? I did but it took a few seconds. And today I saw a second musical reference that I also got.

The words "In every city and every nation from Lake Geneva to the Finland Station" appeared in a book I am reading, The Icon Thief. I immediately recognized the line as being from the song "West End Girls" by The Petshop Boys.

Why do I bring this up? Well, now that I'm older and no longer listening to current music---and truthfully I haven't for several decades now---I often don't get musical references anymore. Actually it's rare that I do. So when I got two pop references in one day---it struck me as quite surprising. Of course it helps that both references were to songs popular 30 years ago.


In case you're curious, the picture refers to the song "Puttin' on the Ritz" since it has Vladimir Putin's picture superimposed on a Ritz cracker.
The song was written and published in 1929 by Irving Berlin---but the version I remember was in 1983 by Taco.

Imagine being named Taco! (and yes, that is his real name, Taco Ockerse)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nitroflex at home

flea!

ankles: the sequel