Weekend Farming

Maybe "farming" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Really what I did was drop 3 veggie type plants into the ground after clearing said ground of the ground cover and invasive grass that were already growing there. Sorta farming but on a very small scale.

As you can see to the left, I have two tomato plants and one bell pepper. I bought them nearly a week ago but was waiting a bit to plant them. You see,the area I wanted to put them already had ground cover growing there and a lot of invasive wild grass had made its home there too.


This is what the area looked like this morning just before I started hacking away at it with a hoe.

The prep work that I had done was spraying the area 3 times in the past week with herbicide of the Round-up variety. As you can see, it worked better on the ground cover than the grass. That grass was VERY well established.

But after waiting a week, I wasn't going to wait any longer. Hopefully the roots are full of nasty herbicide so once I hack off the tops of the plants, they'll be reluctant to get started back up again. In any case, I'm going to remove as much of the root material as is practical with my limited tools.

Here you see my initial foray into the clearing process. Wheee! BTW, it was over 80f and humid as hell out there. Yes, I am whining a little.

In the following photos I document just how much "bad" plant material I get out of this little bitty plot of land and also how much better the plot looks with the grass pulled away. And finally there's a picture of my 3 veggie plants in the ground. Soon I'll add mulch and water and the rain we're supposed to get the next 3 days will give the tomatoes and peppers a nice start.

I just hope that the bugs and birds don't destroy the plants before the deer get a chance to eat them. *sigh*









Comments

kenju said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Unknown said…
I just read that you can safely kill grass by pouring a 1:1 mixture of hot water and vinegar on the
area once a day for a few days. I'm going to try that on a sunny spot since I want to move my butterfly bush to said sunny spot.
utenzi said…
Thanks, Judy.

I'd not heard that before, GG. Since I have a good sized container of concentrated generic Roundup I don't need to go with vinegar, but it's nice to know just in case.
Naquillity said…
you've become a gardener in my absence. here's to healthy tomatoes and peppers. hope your hard work pays off.

is it true, your birthday? if so, Happy Birthday. hope you had a great celebration.
utenzi said…
I'm afraid so. I just entered my 50th year. AARP will be contacting me in about 12 months. Oh joy.
Unknown said…
The discounts are great - they also have a good magazine.

Popular posts from this blog

Nitroflex at home

flea!

ankles: the sequel