Do you want your change?

There's been a bit too much change in my life the past couple of days.

It started off with a call from my boss at the end of the work day on Thursday. It seems a set of experiments that we had intended for the summer had finally been approved. One of those good news and bad news things.

The experiments had been originated to be run by a med student we had in the lab for the summer. He was between his first and second years and wanted exposure to clinically oriented science research and was willing to invest a lot of his time over his 10 week summer break for that goal. Perfect.

Well, not quite perfect. We ran into several unexpected bureaucratic and supply problems that kept delaying the start date. To make a long and painful story short, the med student started back up with his classes on Wednesday and like I said, the experiments got approved the next day. So it's me that'll be doing this experiment. And it requires dosing mice twice a day, morning and night, every day of the week. For at least 10 weeks.

The next wrinkle in this is that since Julie lives on the other side of Raleigh, I only see her on weekends. Oops. My weekends aren't my own anymore. So I won't be seeing Julie. They say that things come in groups of three. I just can't wait to find out what happens next!

And in the healing department, my ankles still look like hell but they healed a good bit today. No doubt since it's the first day that I've not had to have shoes and socks on. I'm going to go on a hike tomorrow morning with a number of other people and I hope that my healing process doesn't backslide as a result. It's supposed to be 6 miles but I can opt to scoot out around the 3 mile mark if my legs are too damn itchy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like it it going to be a long 10 weeks. Can Julie come to visit you?
Jan said…
I had the same thing happen a few years back with a state grant. We had the staff ready to go, but the bureaucrats dragged their feet on the funding and we couldn't keep the staff together.

Then they had the nerve to criticize us for not completing the project.
Grrrrr.

Popular posts from this blog

Nitroflex at home

flea!

ankles: the sequel