television

I finally watched the pilot episode of Chuck, a very offbeat spy spoof on NBC that uses a self proclaimed Geek to save the world. Oops, wrong show. Well, at least to save various US agencies like the CIA, the NSA, and the FBI. It seems that Chuck's old Stanford roommate, Bryce Larkin, who by the way stole the one girl Chuck could ever love, became a spy for the CIA after college--and then went rogue. But in a creative twist, just before dying Bryce Emailed good ole Chuck the secrets of all the US spy agencies in one very wacky bunch of images that secretly convey massive amounts of data directly to the brain stem.

Or something like that. (that technique was actally a plot device in a cyberpunk novel, Snowcrash, quite a few years ago)

I thought the show was great. Chuck, along with Journeyman, are the only two shows I've seen pilots for this season that I've liked a lot. I hope both shows maintain high standards. Given its setup, Journeyman needs particularly deft writing.

I also like Reaper, on the CW, but I suspect it might not be able to hold up well with it's creative premise. If you're not familiar with the show, 21 years ago a pair of newlyweds promised the soul of their first born to the devil. They decided not to have kids as a result--but the devil cheated a bit--and they conceived. Now the devil is collecting his due and in a way that allows the CW to do a new show every week. You see, Lucifer doesn't want the kid for his own back in hell, no he wants the kid to collect the souls of escaped evil folk. It's a great concept since this way the kid is doing good deeds even though his boss is the source of all evil. Nice, huh?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I liked Chuck too. I laughed quite a bit and really enjoyed the best friend, Morgan. He was a hoot. Reaper seemed like a decent show, but like you I don't know that it will capture my attention for a whole season. But I'll give it a few more episodes to see what's what.
utenzi said…
You're quite right. Morgan (Joshua Gomez) is a hoot. A very strange friend but a funny one--who's apparently quite attracted to Chuck's sister.
Into the Light said…
I agree about Chuck. I watched expecting not to like it and was proved wrong. The verdict is still out on Journeyman -- some things didn't sit well with me and I don't know what I need to remember for later in the season. I suspect that this is one of those series that would be best to watch all at once, like some people have told me 24 is best that way. Regardless, I'll be watching both Chuck and Journeyman for a couple more weeks -- I'm open-minded, after all!
Smug said…
They prefer to be called Nerds, not geeks!

I have not picked up Journeyman, but I quite liked "Life" - we will have to see if it stays good. The lead is funny with something very serious behind the eyes. I also think that I will give "Big Shots" a few more weeks. I really like Christopher Titus (from both the show Titus and his standup shows), so we will see on that one, the pilot was good, but not great.
Shephard said…
That (Reaper) does sound very clever. I was wondering how close it was to Dead Like Me (we miss that show).
~S
Lucky Lady said…
like your blog thanks for stopping by mine
Anonymous said…
I also enjoyed Chuck, but I'm not sure how long it can maintain itself. The plot was fun and quirky, but I could see it eventually becoming too over the top and completely unbelievable.
rosemary said…
I guess I am just tired of new shows, having to watch every week or I lose track of the plot (I rarely watch what I record. I did watch DSM. It was OK but you are right about the murder plot.

The cookies made my mouth water but I will have to settle for fat free fig neutons. Blaghh
SassyAssy said…
What a coincidence--watching Chuck now. Seems pretty funny!
kenju said…
Didn't see either one, Dave.
Unknown said…
Just watched Chuck - think I'll pass in the future. Desperate Housewives has definately jumped the shark. I liked the darkness of Cane - strange to see Jimmy Smits arrange a murder. Liked Reaper but it may get old.
Bobkat said…
I'm not familair with this show. I'll have to check it out if I come across it.

I am quite taken with your cookie recipe though...mmmm...
Scooter McGavin said…
I thought Chuck was good, but am a little disappointed so far, I really don't like the CIA/NSA trying to kill each other every episode. Yeah, I understand the friction between the two departments, but they are way too quick to try to kill one another.

And I actually find the sidekick a little too obnoxious and cliched. I much perfer Captain Awesome.

As for Reaper, I thought it was absolutely horrible and assume it will only get worse without Kevin Smith around. Plus I spent the whole first episode thinking "They really canceled Veronica Mars for this?"

Popular posts from this blog

Nitroflex at home

flea!

ankles: the sequel