Mad Men and Damages

I finally have started watching that AMC cable series Mad Men. The season is over, I think, and there's something like 12 or 13 episodes recorded now. I've seen the first 6 shows, I think, and so far I find it.... interesting. It's gotten a lot of critical acclaim but I'm not 100% thrilled by the show.

I'm not entirely sure why. The acting is just peachy. Maybe it's just that the period of time is so familiar to me but at the same time repugnant. I was born just a year after the show takes place so the time of my childhood was quite similar to that in which the show occurs. Between the ever present smoking, the frequency of illicit sexual affairs, daytime alcohol use, and ingrained prejudices and preconceptions of the characters.... it's a little icky. I must admit though, it sure does ring true when I compare the show to my earliest memories. Scary.

I bet this show is going to garner a lot of awards. It's that kind of show. In case you're not familiar with Mad Men, here's the summary from the AMC website:

The series revolves around the conflicted world of Don Draper (Jon Hamm), the biggest ad man (and ladies man) in the business, and his colleagues at the Sterling Cooper Advertising Agency. As Don makes the plays in the boardroom and the bedroom, he struggles to stay a step ahead of the rapidly changing times and the young executives nipping at his heels. The series also depicts authentically the roles of men and women in this era while exploring the true human nature beneath the guise of 1960 traditional family values.

As for Damages, I've not seen it yet but Naomi vouches for it so I'm going to record the marathon session on FX (12 shows, I think) and then watch the season finale a few days later on Tuesday. I'm going to be out of town at my parents' place on the weekend so I won't be able to watch them until next week.

Anybody fans of either Damages or Mad Men?

Comments

Into the Light said…
I pretty much agree about Mad Men. I keep watching (though I'm behind). I actually find myself distracted by the authenticity of the time period and have trouble caring about the storylines so much. I'm planning to finish it out -- I think it's over this week or next.

Damages is a better show. I had trouble following it in the beginning because of the switches from the beginning of the case and the present. I think it probably would be easier to follow watching the whole season at once rather than one episode each week (which is what I did). Some shows make more sense without the time lag.I don't know when this one ends, but it should be in the next two weeks. I think Nip/Tuck takes over it's time slot before the month ends. :-)
SassyAssy said…
Well, maybe I will check them out...you always have interesting recommendations.
kenju said…
I tried to watch Mad Men tonight for the first time. I've wanted to see it, but I forgot it nearly every week. I couldn't get into it tonight. I suppose too much has happened for me to be able to catch up. Maybe I'll rent it on DVD next year.
Shephard said…
I have not seen MadMen or Damages. Naomi told me about Damages as well. I've heard it's well-done. I've heard the same thing about MadMen, and I really should be watching it as we know one of the actors in the show. But... something about a show revolving around a lothario is off-putting (is it just me? lol).
~S

Popular posts from this blog

Nitroflex at home

flea!

ankles: the sequel