Steve Irwin

I was watching coverage of Steve Irwin's Memorial Service tonight on Animal Planet. It was a nice tribute, touching at times though too upbeat for my taste. No doubt it was in line with the way he would have wanted it. Celebrate life and not mourn death.

Perhaps the most touching part was when his friend and coworker (I can't remember his name) gave an eulogy and broke up near the end--they'd been together since the fellow was 14 and Irwin was only a year or two older, next would be when Irwin's daughter, Bindi, read off a brief memorial statement about her dad. It's quite obvious that she loves to be in front of an audience so I have little doubt that she'll be willing --and able-- to take his place in a few years. Russel Crowe's remarks were also quite obviously heartfelt and moving.

To me, the Retrospective Special that Animal Planet showed immediately before the Memorial Show was even more moving. The special was made a few years ago and really summed up Irwin's efforts on his TV shows as well as what he did growing up and behind the scenes and his family life. Quite a fellow and far too young to die.

Here's a picture of a dwarf crocodile from Africa that I took while at the NC Zoo on Sunday. It's the only picture I have personally taken of a crocodile since I was a kid. Steve Irwin, on the other hand, took quite a few...

Comments

carmilevy said…
Thanks for this, Utenzi. I remain immensely saddened by his loss. Sometimes, it seems like the good ones are destined to be taken too soon.
Anonymous said…
Hi Utenzi! Michele sent me.

You know, his death was so sad. I've wanted to watch Crocodile Hunter, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it - even though Animal Planet has been showing it daily. I think it is the same thing with the 9/11 anniversary. I wanted to watch all the specials, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I am either a coward or just wise to keep myself from being emotionally overwhelmed; I don't know. I do know that with our move to another state and all that entails, I've been trying to be protective of my emotions and just reflect inside instead of watching the media versions. Does that make sense?

Having said all that, if I had known the memorial service was on, I think I would have watched that...
utenzi said…
I understand what you mean, Blond Girl. Irwin's death affected me more than the 9/11 tributes probably because he seemed so genuine on his shows that it was like I knew him, whereas I didn't know anybody that died in NYC or the DC and PA crashes.
-E said…
Thanks for dropping by my blog :)

And thanks, even more, for this little review. I missed the memorial service, so it was good to hear about it.
kenju said…
Had I known that was on AP, I would have watched. I read in the morning paper what his dad said, and it moved me to tears. My 88 year old grandmother said, after my uncle died at age 66 from a heart attack..."No mother should ever have to see her child dead", as she wailed. That made a huge immpact on me (age 12) and I hate to see a parent in that position.

Michele sent me.
Dak-Ind said…
i too watched parts of that memorial. steve irwin was a credit to the world, not just the animal community. he will always be an icon, gone too soon.

michele sent me.
srp said…
Here from Michele.

I wonder how much the kids really realize at their young ages. His little girl seems extremely intelligent and very articulate already. Having his kids take over for him will be the fulfillment of his dreams. He was a unique and dedicated man.
Kristen said…
heya! michele sent me :)

i'm still quite saddened about steve irwin. i didn't know it was on AP yesterday. i'd have watched it. i have two kids that - one just a bit younger than bindi and one a bit older than bob. i was immediately putting myself in the position of teri and it just made it all the more sad. he brought a lot to the world, i think.

Popular posts from this blog

Nitroflex at home

flea!

ankles: the sequel