There's been a little too much on one topic lately so I'll introduce something that isn't Katrina or bug related. Protest songs!
I'll dedicate this one to my girlfriend, still working that hippie vibe, and Liz at Library Tavern, who obviously is still feeling those protest blues.
There's something very uplifting about feeling morally superior to others and protest songs are great for doing just that.
So here's your chance. Nominate 5 of your favorite protest songs. These don't have to be the 5 best ones--just the 5 that hit you where it counts.
I got my songs from List of protest songs on Wikipedia. It's a pretty good resource though a few of them are long shots at being protest songs. At least they don't seem to be protesting much to me.
I can't say I enjoy this one but there's few that cut to the bone more:
- "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holliday
In any case, here's 10 of my favorite protest songs of the moment:
- "Imagine" by John Lennon
- "This Land Is Your Land" by Woody Guthrie
- "Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire
- "Blowin' in the Wind" by Bob Dylan
- "The Ecology Song" by Marvin Gaye
- "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell
- "If I Had a Hammer" by Pete Seeger
- "We Are the World" by USA for Africa
- "Luka" by Suzanne Vega
- "Signs" by The Five Man Electrical Band